No Valentine? No problem! Who says you can only celebrate Valentine’s Day if you have a significant other? Valentine’s Day is a great time to spend with friends and loved ones of the platonic variety. Skip the busy restaurants and host a Valentine’s Day party for singles. Invite your single friends and family for some tasty eats and, of course, delicious wine!
Keep the Food Simple
Offer a selection of savory and sweet bites as your meal:
- Cheese Platter (with an assortment of crackers and breads): Cheese and wine can make a meal. Offer a selection of different cheeses. If you’re looking for some guidance in selecting wines to go with your cheeses, be sure to read these wine & cheese pairing guidelines or just use the Wine4.Me app to find pairings for 14 different varieties.
- Vegetable Tray: The ubiquitous party tray! Try to keep it visually appealing with a selection of colors — red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, grape tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, and sugar snap peas. Add your favorite dip.
- Fruit Tray: Fruit is a nice accompaniment to both chocolate and cheese. Try a selection of apple slices, pear slices, orange or clementine segments, small grape bunches, fresh pineapple, and strawberries. To prevent fruit like apples and pears from browning, try tossing them in a 50-50 solution of lemon juice and cold water.
- Chocolates: Valentine’s Day is not complete without chocolate! Purchase an assortment of different chocolates or if you’re really fancy, whip up a batch of chocolate fondue. If you’re looking for some guidance in selecting wine to go with your chocolate, be sure to read these wine & chocolate pairing guidelines.
Don’t Forget the Wine!
Try a few of these wines and take note of which ones you enjoy. Our app will help you find more wines to your liking!
- Columbia Crest Two Vines Merlot ~ $7
- Chateau Souverain Merlot ~ $15
- Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Wells Merlot ~ $16
- McManis Family Vineyards Pinot Noir ~ $10
- MacMurray Ranch Pinot Noir ~ $13
- King Estate Acrobat Pinot Noir ~ $18
- Robert Mondavi Winery Private Selection Cabernet Sauvignon ~ $10
- Columbia Crest H3 Cabernet Sauvignon ~ $13
- Cosentino Winery CigarZin Zinfandel ~ $16
- Hook & Ladder Zinfandel ~ $23
- Ridge Vineyards East Bench Zinfandel ~ $28
- Alamos Chardonnay ~ $10
- St. Francis Chardonnay ~ $13
- Joseph Drouhin Laforet Chardonnay ~ $13
- Bogle Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc ~ $10
- Veramonte La Gloria Sauvignon Blanc ~ $10
- Cupcake Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc ~ $10
- Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio ~ $10
- A to Z Wineworks Pinot Gris ~ $13
- Helfrich Pinot Gris ~ $13
- Pacific Rim Riesling ~ $10
- Charles Smith ‘Kung Fu Girl’ Riesling ~ $13
- Chateau Ste. Michelle & Dr. Loosen Eroica Riesling ~ $20
What’s your favorite wine to serve at a party?
We hope you enjoy our wine suggestions. If you want to know which wines YOU will like best, download the FREE iPhone app Wine4.Me. Tell it what wines you know you like and get your own personalized rankings of best-selling, widely available wines in the US.